Monday 3 October 2011

Magnolia Close, Episode 19. Down At The Surgery.



Walter Ashton entered Greenfields Surgery to find an unfamiliar face behind the reception counter – or at least a face he had not been introduced to close-up.
"Good morning, my dear, you’re new around here, aren’t you?"
"That’s right," said Jade.
"Aren’t you Tricia’s new house-mate? Isn’t she in this week?"
"She is later – I’m on the early session today and she was still in the land of nod when I left this morning. Is it something I can deal with?"
"No, you’ll do, I suppose. I want Dr Fry to give my wife, Gladys, a check-up."
"Do you need an urgent appointment?"
"No, no – just a check-up. And one myself while I’m here. Would that be alright?"
"I’m sure it would but I’ll have a word with Dr Fry just in case."
At that moment, the sign that indicated the next patient was due buzzed and Daisy Woods got up from the waiting area and led a rather sullen Luther in to see the doctor.

****
Benson Fairhust did not make a habit of drinking at lunchtime but he was in a buoyant mood. He was, frankly, overwhelmed by Ashleigh’s generosity in getting him a new camera and he was dying to try in out, Meanwhile, he just felt like celebrating.
"Pint of bitter when you’re ready, Maddy." Maddy Weston served Benson his pint, and saw he was fiddling with the new gadget.
"So you got a camera, after all?" she said.
Benson stiffened – he hadn’t meant to show the prized object off, especially to the partner of Douglas Gormley, who had had his own method for supplying merchandise that had very nearly got Benson in trouble with the police in the form of Detective Constable Liam "Buster" Keaton.
"Yes, I er…" Benson hesitated. "I decided business demanded I keep up with the times.
"Look," said Maddy, "I’m sorry what Douglas did – the mess he nearly got you in. But he was caught out too. He was just trying to make the best of what seemed like a bit of luck. We’re both short of money – Bethany costs a fortune and she’s only two. Goodness knows what it will be like when she gets older."
"Your Douglas ought to think of getting a proper job. I don’t suppose, if you’re short of cash, you’d be interested in having some portraits of your little girl?"
"Gosh, I’d love to," said Maddy, sincerely. "I just don’t think family budget would run to it. You out looking for business, I take it?"
Benson noticed the heartfelt tone in her voice, and softened. "I know Douglas didn’t mean anything by it. He was just trying to do me a favour. Tell you what – I haven’t got any customers at the moment – how about I come and take some pictures of Bethany anyway – for practice’s sake. She could be my model and I could learn how this new-fangled thing works. And it would show there’s no hard feelings."
"Really? You’d do that? That would be lovely."
"Just don’t let my Ashleigh find out! She still isn’t keen on Douglas and she’d have my guts for garters if she knew."
"It will be our little secret. Oh, I would so love some pictures of Bethany. She’s so cute. Thanks so much."
"Our little secret," Benson said.

****
At Greenfields, Jade was just getting ready to go off duty when Tricia arrived.
"I was beginning to think you weren’t coming in today," Jade said. "You were out ever so late last night."
"That’s because I had a date," Tricia said with asperity. "No thanks to you."
"To me? I don’t know what you mean."
"So you didn’t tell Jonathan that I’d left a message saying I didn’t want to see him?"
"Who’s Jonathan?"
"Don’t give me that – you don’t even sound like you’re telling the truth."
"Oh – er – is Jonathan that guy you met the other week when we went out? What’s… what’s he like?"
"As if you are ever going to find out. What were you thinking?"
"I’m sorry, Trish, but I think somebody’s got their wires crossed here. There was some stranger phoned you up but he clearly didn’t know you that well and I didn’t want to give out private information. I just said I didn’t think you were interested in seeing someone. You don’t know what creeps and weirdos – "
"I specifically told you that if someone called Jonathan rang, I wanted to meet up with him again."
"Is that what he told you? That I said you weren’t available?"
"Precisely," Tricia almost hissed the word.
"He must have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, this Jonathan chap. Look – who are you going to trust? – a comparative stranger or the person you share a house with. I’m your friend. I’d never do anything to upset you."
Tricia took a breath and paused. "This isn’t the right place to discuss it. But I want a word with you when I get home."
"Trish, I – " But Tricia was already dealing with someone at the reception desk. "Damn," said Jade to herself. "Let’s see how long this Jonathan lasts when I’ve dealt with him."

****
Daisy called in at her husband’s shop, Paws For Thought.
"What are you doing here at this time of day?" said Foster.
"I just thought you’d like to know what’s wrong with our son, seeing as you haven’t been taking much of an interest."
"Do my a favour, lady, I’m as concerned as you – I just didn’t notice the way a mother does. So what is the news?"
Suddenly Daisy began to cry.
"Daisy – what is it? What’s wrong with Luther?"
Daisy couldn’t stop sobbing. She handed Foster a leaflet she had got from the surgery. "This is what the doctor thinks it might be."
Foster looked at the leaflet. "But this is not possible."
"The doctor’s going to do further tests. But he’s pretty sure already. This is what’s wrong with our son. And it will affect him for life!"
End Of Episode 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment