Tuesday 27 September 2011

Magnolia Close Episode 18. Crossed Wires.




"So you are going to school today, after all?" said Martha.

"Of course," said Brooke, "why not?"

"You weren’t so keen a few days ago."

"I want to get my A levels. I’ve got resits in two months."

"I’m glad you’re sounding more confident."

"Yeah. I think I’m going to do well this time round," said Brooke.

"It’s good you approve of Hope Academy now. I’ve been thinking I might enrol there on a night-school class."

"Doing what?"

"They run a course in business administration. Advanced secretarial, word-processing and so on. I thought it might be a good idea if I’m to get back the world of work. Help out with the pennies. We could always do with a bit extra."

"That’s true enough. We don’t know what trouble Dad will be in yet after his caveman behaviour."

"Let’s not dwell on that," said Martha.

Celine, looking on, was horrified. "You’re thinking of going to that dump of a school too?"

"Why not?" said Martha. "You’re never too old to learn."

"I think it will do Mum good to see what we have to go through," said Brooke to Celine.

Celine collapsed on the sofa with a long face. "I think everybody in this family has gone nuts."


"Keep you eyes closed," said Ashleigh. "OK, here’s your surprise – you can open them now."

Benson did he was told and gasped in amazement at what he saw. "A digital SLR!" He picked up the camera and handled it almost as if it were a religious treasure. He spoke in quiet awe. "Where on Earth did you get the money to buy this?"

"I got it from the magazine. Women Talk give discounts to their staff sometimes on second-hand bits and pieces. I played up being a graphic artist and said how it would help me in my work and they offered it to me. Plus I’ve got a bonus this month for finishing my probation there."

"You’re permanent staff now?" Benson was delighted.

"You betcha!" Ashleigh beamed.

"Wow – things are certainly looking up for this family."

"Well… I saw how disappointed you were when you had to hand back that other camera. Promise me you’ll never have anything to do with that Douglas again. He’s as bent as a dog’s hind leg."

"I promise. No problem."


Walter carried two cups of tea into the lounge. He handed one to Gladys and sat down beside her, taking a sip.

"You do realise – this wedding anniversary coming up will be our Jubilee wedding."

"What?" said Gladys.

"I know – it’s hard to believe – fifties years of ‘bledded wiss,’" he joked. "Doesn’t seem a day over forty-five."

"What our you talking about?" Gladys looked vaguely shocked.

"Our wedding anniversary. I suppose we’d better make it a big do. Invite all the family. We don’t know when we might get the chance again to be all together for a celebration."

"Fifty years? It’s not that long. I’ll have to check with my husband."

Walter was startled. He put down his tea. "Gladys – what’s the matter? I am your husband."

"Oh no," said Gladys, gravely. "My husband is a much younger man."


As Daisy Woods entered Greenfields Surgery she was pleased to see the familiar face of Tricia McAndrew behind the desk. However she was somewhat surprised by her expression – she seemed to be just staring into space.

"Hello, Tricia. Is everything alright?"

"What? Oh, I’m sorry – I didn’t see you there."

"I gathered that. You know, the French have a phrase for that – ‘Your mind was on the moon.’ Is anything the matter?"

"No… no," Tricia hesitated. "I think I’m just finding it’s taking me longer than I expected getting used to a house-share."

"Is it going alright? I thought Jade worked with you here."

"It’s her day off today. We cover some different shifts. Perhaps it’s just as well – I think I still need a little time on my own."

"So you wouldn’t be interested in meeting up at The Petrel tonight for a drink?"

Tricia managed a grin. "Now I didn’t say that. The only thing that would stop me is if I had a date with a fellah."

"You likely to get a date?"

"I was thinking I just might. But it seems to be turning out to be only wishful thinking," she sighed. "Anyway, what can I do for you?"

"I need to make an appointment with Dr Fry. I’m still worried about Luther. He’s still losing weight. Even his pants keep slipping down like they’re a size too big. I want him to have a check-up."

"OK – when would suit you?"


Jade was relaxing at home in Number 23 when the telephone rang.

"Hello?"

A male voice answered. "Hi. Is Tricia there?"

"Who’s speaking, please?"

"My name’s Jonathan. We met the other night. You’d be the friend she was with, I guess."

"Ah Jonathan. Tricia said you might call. She left a message – she said she was not interested in seeing you again. I’m sorry."

"Oh. That’s a bit cold. Are you sure?"

"Definite. Those were her exact words."


"Goodnight, everybody," said Tricia as she was leaving the surgery.

"You not doing anything tonight?" said Helen, the on-duty receptionist.

"No – chance would be a fine thing. Just meeting a friend, that’s all."

As Tricia stepped outside, her mobile rang. She didn’t recognise the number.

"Hello, who’s that?"

"I’m Jonathan," came the voice. "We met the other night and you gave me both your numbers. Is that your house-mate on your land-land?"

"I suppose so."

"I’m just checking – did you tell her to say you didn’t want to see me again?"

"No! Definitely not. I've been hoping you would call."

"So you wouldn’t mind going out for a drink – say this Friday?"

"That would be lovely. When and where?"

"That’s a relief," said Jonathan. "Your house-mate must have got her wires crossed."

"She must," said Tricia. After the call, arrangements made, Tricia said to herself, "I think it’s about time I uncrossed them."

End Of Episode 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment