Tuesday 11 October 2011

Magnolia Close. Episode 20. This Year’s Model.


Sammy shuffled up to the bar of The Stormy Petrel and ordered another scotch off Maddy.

"Are you sure?" she said. "You look like you’ve had enough already."

"It’s just a night-cap," he sighed, none too clearly.

"I don’t know how you can afford it. Working at Merlin Court must pay better than here."

"I don’t have any family to keep, do I?" He stared off into the distance. "Not any more."

"All the same," she interrupted him before he got started on his life story, "I wish I had money to spare."

"A pretty girl like you? With a face like that you should always be able to find work."

Douglas, who had been sitting a little distance away watching his partner deal with customers, now spoke up. "Hey, Sammy. Maybe it’s time you did go home. Stop bothering the staff."

Sammy turned, unsure who had spoken, until he saw Douglas’s face. "I’m sorry, Doug. I didn’t mean to make a nuisance of myself." He slung back the scotch in a single gulp. "I’ll be going then," he said and set off.

When he had gone, Douglas said to Maddy. "He might have a point though, don’t you think?"

"In what way?"

"You’re a good looking woman. You’re wasted here."

"What I’m wasted by is having someone like you as a partner."


Foster put down the information sheet from the surgery that he had been reading and turned to his wife, Daisy. "So what happens now?"

"You’ve read the leaflet. Luther has to go for more tests. Then, if it’s confirmed…"

"If it’s confirmed, it says here, they can treat him."

"But our child – on drugs for the rest of his life!" She was close to tears."

"It’s not the same as a drug." Foster was trying as rapidly as he could to catch up with the situation. "It’s just something his body should produce normally but it’s stopped working properly." He could see she wasn’t convinced. "It says something like fifty million people around the world are on insulin for diabetes."

"Fifty million?"

"Something like that – I can’t remember exactly. But as long as he gets his daily dose he will be absolutely fine. When does he go back for more tests?"


"Now I want you on your best behaviour when Jonathan turns up," said Tricia to Jade. "You start telling him fibs and – and you’re out of here!"

"But it was all a mistake. You wouldn’t throw your house-mate just for a misunderstanding?"

"Do you have any idea how long I have been looking for a boyfriend? Finally I meet someone nice and you have to go and tell him I’m not interested!"

"I’m sure it was a mistake," said Jade. "You wouldn’t make your best friend homeless just for a date?"

"I’d make my best friend homeless just for a snog!" Tricia exclaimed, so dramatically, she then couldn’t help starting to laugh at herself. Jade started laughing also. "Me too," she said with a grin.

"Anyway," Tricia was still laughing, "who says you’re my best friend?"

Slightly more serious, Jade said, "I promise unless you find somebody else. Unless somebody better comes along. Even then, you and I will be best friends."


Maddy arrived at Number 22, Magnolia Close, with daughter Bethany in her arms. Benson Fairhurst opened the door.

"Here’s our little model-to-be," Maddy cooed over Bethany. "I hope you can make her as pretty in a picture as she already is."

"I’m sure I can do something," said Benson. "Come in."

Benson led Maddy into the living room which had its curtain drawn, but was amply lit by two umbrella floodlights. He had improvised a backcloth of vague pastel-colours with a small chair in front. "I hope she won’t get camera-shy. Some children hate having their picture taken and cry all the way through."

"I’m sure she won’t do that. You’ll get a smile out of her." Maddy picked up a small teddy-bear that Benson had obviously got ready as a prop.


Next door, at Number 21, the door-bell rang and Tricia answered.

"Jonathan!" she exclaimed and dared give him a peck on the cheek. "It’s lovely to see you again. Come in."

She led Jonathan into the lounge. "This is my house-mate, Jade. I gather you and her have already had a bit of a chat on the phone."

Jonathan looked rather awkward. "I’m sorry about what happened. I must have misheard you or something. These mobile phones, eh?" He attempted a grin.

"Can you just hang on a moment while I finish getting ready?" said Tricia. "Don’t go trying to steal him now, will you, Jade."


"That could have gone better," said Benson with a sigh. "I’d forgotten how children can be. Camera’s cleverer than me too. At least with digital, you don’t have to spend any money on film."

"I’m sorry Bethany’s played up. I think she needs a nap."

"As I say, don’t worry."

"I wish she had been a better model." Maddy paused while Benson shut down the lights. "I was just wondering…"

"Yes?"

"Could I model for you? I could pay you off instead."

"What sort of modelling?"

"Whatever’s best. Do you think I’m attractive?"

"Of course you are, dear. Do you mean some kind of glamour modelling?"

"Oh! That sounds a bit daring."

"No, no – anything you wish. A model is a model."

Maddy hesitated some more. "If it’s digital, no-one else will see them, will they?"


"I remember you now," said Jonathan. "You were with Tricia the night we met."

"That’s right," said Jade. "She got to you first."

"What do you mean?"

"I thought you were quite nice. I think that was why I was surprised when you phoned and asked for Tricia."

"Why?"

"She’s a bit of an ‘older model,’ don’t you think?" Jade got up from the sofa and pushed a piece of paper into Jonathan’s hand. "If you fancy something with a few less miles on the clock, here’s my mobile number."

End Of Episode 20

No comments:

Post a Comment