Tuesday 13 September 2011

Magnolia Close Episode 16. Motives And Secrets



Dennis Ames marched up to the reception desk of Hope Academy with a look on his face that no-one should cross him. The receptionist, Mrs Cooke, looked up.

"Can I help you, Mr… er…?

"Ames. I’m Dennis Ames. I’ve come to see the headmistress."

"Do you have an appointment to see Mrs Groves, Mr Ames?"

"I’ve not taken time off work just to mess about making appointments."

"I’m sorry, but Mrs Groves is very busy – "

"Either she can see me now or I’m going to the police!"

"What’s it in connection with?" Mrs Cooke tried to remain calm.

"It’s in connection with," Dennis Ames said, mocking her, "the fact that you’ve got a pervert working here as a teacher!"


Foster looked up as the shop door to Paws For Thought opened and his wife, Daisy, came in. "Oh," he said, "I was half-hoping you were another customer."

"So we’ve had some then?"

"Yes, sort of. In body, if not in spirit."

"How do you mean?" Daisy said, donning an overall coat as she slipped behind the counter.

"I dunno," Foster hesitated. "That old dear, Mrs Ashton, was in here to buy some millet for her bird."

"I didn’t know she still had a bird. I thought her budgie died some time back."

"So did I. But she insisted she still had him."

Daisy started unbuttoning her husband’s overall to hurry him home. The sooner he got back from lunch, the sooner she could leave. "Odd," she said.

"That’s what I thought. Then there was that woman from the health centre –what’s-her-name?"

"Tricia, you mean?"

"That’s her. She came in looking half lost to collect her regular order."

"The cat-food? What was wrong with her?"

"Nothing. Only looked like her mind was on another planet."

"Don’t be like that! I like Tricia. I went to see her about Luther the other day. She’s very nice."

"What’s wrong with Luther?" Foster bent to pick up his coat. Even autumn in England still felt cold to him.

"You haven’t listened to a word I’ve said about him lately, have you?"

"Well, what then?"

"The fact the he’s always eating yet he’s as thin as a rake."

"He’s a growing boy. You worry too easy."

"And here’s you, worrying about your customers. Tricia’s probably got a lot on her mind."

"Such as what?"

"Having a new house-mate for a start. It must take a bit of getting used to."

"I know who you mean now – that new young woman who’s just moved in."

"Keep your eyes off her," Daisy said, catching a note in his voice. "She’s nearer Luther’s age than yours."

"That wasn’t what I was thinking," Foster countered.

"Well, what then?"

"Just that – if business here doesn’t pick up soon, we might be looking for a lodger."

"And where would we put Luther?"

"In the shed, maybe?"


Tricia had arrived at the surgery early despite her shopping trip. As much as anything she had wanted to get out of the house before Jade was up. There would be no avoiding her at work however. She deliberately busied herself with double-checking the phoned-in requests for repeat prescriptions, even though one of the practice nurses would go through them anyway and prepare them for a GP’s signature. She just needed to be doing something by the time Jade got there.

Sure enough, Jade arrived, bang on time. I can’t fault her for punctuality, Tricia thought.

"Good morning," said Jade.

"What? Yes. A good morning. Fine." Tricia stared even harder at the requests.

"What are you doing?"

"These."

"They’re repeat requests, aren’t they? I thought you said we only noted them down then passed them on?"

Tricia stopped. This was no good. She would have to think of something else. No – that wouldn’t work either. She would have to face this head on. "About the other night, she said at last.

"Yes?"

Tricia stared hard into the middle distance. "I just need you to know that… that I don’t do that sort of thing."

"What sort of thing?"

"You know."

"Kiss?" Jade looked genuinely shocked.

"Not with – with other girls!"

Jade’s jaw dropped. "Goodness! I didn’t – I mean I’m not –"

"Now if there was a nice boy around, then that might be a different story."

Jade continued to look horrified with shock. "Well – the same goes for me too. I didn’t mean to make you think I was coming on to you."

"It’s just not right."

"Of course not. I’m boys only too." Jade looked up to the ceiling as if seeking help. "I can’t believe you thought that I was… it was just a goodnight kiss. Perhaps it was a bit too much. But I’d had a lot to drink. It wasn’t meant as anything like that. Honestly."

"Really?"

"Really!"

"Now I feel even more stupid. You just seemed to be a bit too affectionate."

"I know I can be a terrible flirt especially when I’ve had a drink or two. But that’s all it was. But don’t feel stupid. I’m the one who’s made a fool of herself."

"Oh no, you’ve not. Let’s just call it quits. What I’d really like is too meet a half decent fellah. I’ve been trying for so long, but always seem to get the useless ones."

"Tell me about it," said Jade. "Tell you what – this week-end let’s go uptown and paint the place red. Go man-hunting."

Tricia sighed with relief. "OK. Let’s."

"Good. Sorted." said Jade. She took a side-long glance at Tricia.

Pity.


"Mr Ames," said Mrs Groves, the headmistress of Hope Academy, "Mr Farrah is on his way to my office right now. I don’t know why your daughter, Celine, has been getting so upset in her lessons, but I am sure we can sort this out."

Dennis Ames nodded without speaking. There was a knock at the door and Robert Farrah came in. "Mrs Groves? How can I help?"

"I’ll show you how," said Dennis, and promptly punched Robert in the face. "Kiddy-fiddler!

End Of Episode 16

No comments:

Post a Comment