Monday 3 December 2007

I May Be Grumpy But I Believe I Have A Point

The problem with Christmas festivities
Is that folk drift into activities
Neglect ‘babe in manger,
Have sex with a stranger!’
And other, still baser proclivities

People, who once had more sense
Spend hundreds of pounds just like pence
Where once there was prudence
There’s insane insouciance
And neglect for the reckoning hence

The respectable, who’d normally cringe
At thought of a boozy binge
Of a sudden indulge
Till their wrecked livers bulge
And their mental state loses its hinge

The thing that really amazes
When you think of Earth’s climatic phases
Little lights are festooned
By reckless baboons
While the planet can go to blazes

But the most obscene thing of all
That makes the festivities pall
Is seeing folk eat
Till they can’t see their feet
While one billion people will go to bed tonight starving

2 comments:

  1. Peter - I liked this. The first three verses are very good . The last lines in particular are snappy and rhythmically spot on. Verse 4 is weaker and doesn't contribute that much and could probably be left out. Punch line very effective - has a real ouch factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops who's Peter?
    I think this is good. I would say if anything there should be an extra syllable in the line At thought of a boozy binge. (eg At thoughts of a booze swilling binge) But then Circe wanted me to put an extra syllable in a poem I wrote and I still disagree.

    Nice one.

    ReplyDelete