Sunday 2 December 2007

Bridesmaid Video

Pause button on my bridesmaid daughter,
Unfocused blur of frills and curls,
Licking the butter off a roll.

The happy couple hide behind the cake,
Grateful for this parade
And the kindness of a camera,

That will not catch
The twitching glance,
Of approaching disappointment.

Soon the icing yellows and goes hard,
Photos curl and gather dust,
In the bottom drawer of boredom.

Outfits never worth the struggle,
Now the dress up clothes of children,
Desperate to pretend.

My mother's grey grin hovers,
Always on the edge of tears,
While my father's face balloons with food.

Faded curtains form a setting,
To the yellow dress and smile
I never wore again.

Before I nudge fast forward
I stoop to kiss the screen,
My warm lips set the seal,
Upon this frozen frame.

1 comment:

  1. Again, I very much like your lean/controlled style. The symmetry between the first and last verses gives the poem a satisfying feeling of roundness/completeness. And as for, 'Unfocussed blur of frills and curls'- it creates such a crisp , vivid image - it is a stunning line.
    Trefor

    ReplyDelete