Tuesday 2 October 2007

The Prisoner


The Prisoner

Can anybody help me please?
I live my life in fear.
I have recurring nightmares of
Being trapped inside IKEA.

I go in for a single bulb,
The sort only they sell,
And claustrophobia soon sets in,
My senses go through hell.

I stand amidst a sea of beds;
I'm spinning as I shout,
"I hate this place! I hate this place!
How do I get out?"

Hordes of frantic shoppers
With yellow shoulder bags;
Men with rimless glasses
Waving Swedish flags.

I dream that I'm surrounded;
Attacked by steel utensils;
Stabbed by shiny kitchen knives
And stubby little pencils.

Flat packs tower around me,
Shelf on shelf on shelf;
A whole lifetime's sentence of
Do it your bloody self.

Just once I made it to the door
And out - "Freedom!" I cried.
But then a giant meatball came
To bring me back inside.

I reached the final checkout;
On a trolley there I lay
In a self assembed coffin,
(A choice of white or grey.)

© Dave Carr

2 comments:

  1. You're too good, you are.
    This has all the attributes of an epic piece of writing:
    (a) well-observed;
    (b) beautifully constructed;
    (c) a complete and true account with nothing overlooked;
    (d) superbly crafted and, most importantly,
    (e) gives a terrific kick in the fork to something, loved only by complete and utter morons, overdue a good battering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought such a smile to my face. Anyone, anywhere who has ever been to Ikea (which surely is everyone!) will relate to this. Very very funny and so true!

    ReplyDelete