Monday 18 July 2011

Magnolia Close Episode 7. Occupational Therapy

Maddy entered the living room of number 25, Magnolia Close. “Right, Bethany’s gone down, so I’m off.”
“Off where?” said Douglas drowsily. He had been dozing in the armchair since he had returned home from introducing himself to the Farrahs. And having a look round number 23.
“Off to work, behind the bar at The Petrel, where d’you think, you pie-can?”
“I didn’t realise is it was that late already,” he said, trying to raise himself in the chair.
“Time goes faster when you’re sat on your backside all day.” She busied herself loading her handbag. “It would go a little more slowly if you were working.”
Douglas fidgeted. It was not the first time they had had this conversation. “Jobs are hard to come by the way things are. You know that.”
“Oh, they are. I can see that. When you’re waiting for them to come to the house and find you. How many jobs have knocked on our door recently? Oh, let me think… None, right? You have to go out and look for work.”
“I have been looking for work,” he protested.
“When?
“Just today, as it happens.”
“‘As it happens’? How’d it happen? You haven’t stuck your head outside all day.”
“That’s all you know. I went to see those new people at number 23. Moving in and all. I thought they might need a handy-man.”
“And you thought you’d offer your services instead.”
“There’s all sorts of things that need doing in a new house.”
“And?”
“They said they’d get back to me.”
“Them and Santa Claus.” She slipped on her jacket and was nearly ready to leave. Before she got to the door he put his hand on her arm.
“Do you know whether Benson will be down The Petrel tonight?”
“How they hell should I know? Besides, you’ve got no money for booze and you can’t leave Bethany on her own.”
“But I might have some business with him.”
Maddy stood in the doorway as if she intended to block it for as long as it took to get Douglas to give up all hopes of going out for the evening. “What business could you have with him. I don’t think you’re the photographic model type.”
“Just a proposal I wanted to run past him. Bring some people together perhaps.”
Maddy wrinkled her nose at him. “You’re not thinking of starting a dating agency, are you.”
“Not that sort of proposal.”
“Just as well. I’ve seen bunions with more romance in them than you’ve got.”
From upstairs came a faint cry. Douglas took it as a hint. “We had some romance once.”
She gave a pained smile. “If you can call the back seat of a clapped-out Astra The Tunnel of Love.”
“Hey!” Douglas risked trying to be stern with her. “I don’t regret us having Bethany. I hope you don’t either.”
To his surprise, she seemed oddly mollified. “No, of course not. But we can’t feed her on fresh air.”
“That’s why I want a word with Benson Fairhurst.”
“So why didn’t you go and see him before I had to go to work?”
“I wanted a business drink with him. Catch him in the right mood.”
“Whatever,” Maddy shrugged, as if feeling her breath wasted. “Just don’t leave Bethany on her own.”
“Don’t worry. I’ll work something out.”“Mum, I’m hungry.”
“Dinner’s nearly ready,” said Daisy. “We’re just waiting for your Dad to get back from the shop.” She busied herself preparing a traditional Caribbean dish of curried goat.
“And I’m thirsty.”
Daisy halted. She recalled the conversation she had had with Tricia at the surgery earlier that day about Luther’s apparent constant thirst and loss of weight. She had looked in at the local chemist’s to check the price of a set of scales, but, seeing again how dear they were, she had decided to delay making a decision about buying them. She would speak with her husband, Foster, about it. “What would you like to drink?”
“Doctor Pepper!” he answered with glee. It did seem to be his favourite drink. Sadly, she could not oblige.
“Would some orange squash do?”
Luther pulled a face and groaned a little.
“You can make it with fizzy water, if you like. I’ve got some bottled water from the supermarket.”
Luther’s expression brightened. Daisy poured him the drink and he gulped it down. Just then, Foster let himself in.
“Dinner won’t be long,” she said. “How was the afternoon?”
Foster sighed. “They say this is a country of animal-lovers. I wish they would come and show some of their affection by buying something from the shop. Do you know how many customers I had after you went home?”
“Go on.”
“Just two.”
“What?” Daisy exclaimed. Business had been quiet, but not to this extent.
“Two – one for some rabbit-straw and one for some millet for their budgie. She was an awkward customer too. Said her little bird didn’t like just ‘any old millet.’ I mean, how many kinds of millet are there? I talked her into buying one of those rings she can fit on a perch. This is no way to make a living. I’ve gotta think of something else to expand the business.”
She turned to him and put her hands on his shoulders. “Maybe I can show you some ‘animal-loving’ later on.” She winked.
“What are you after, girl?” Foster was on his guard.
“Nothing!” she said, feigning hurt. “And I got some good news – we’ve got new neighbours.”
“Why’s that good news? They got a pony or something?”
“You never know.”
“So what were you after, girl?”
“Who says I was after anything?”
Foster gave her a look.
“Alright. I want to buy some scales. From the chemist’s. But they’re a bit dear.”
“You don’t need to lose weight,” Foster protested.
“It’s not for me,” she responded, with a hint of outrage. “My weight’s just fine.”
“Well then?”
“It’s for your son. He’s skinnier than a bean these days.”
“So? He’s a growing boy.”
“Haven’t you seen? He’s growing ups but he ain’t growing out. I’m concerned for him.”
“If you’re so concerned,” he said, putting hands on her shoulder in an echo of her gesture, “you’d have dinner on the table already.”
END OF EPISODE 7

No comments:

Post a Comment