Sunday 5 June 2011

Magnolia Close - Episode 1

Robert put down the cardboard crate of possessions that had been more or less dumped by the removal men and looked imploringly at Nasreen. "Any chance of a cup of tea?"
"Is that the last box?"
"Yes, I think so."
"What’s in it?"
Robert strained to read the marker pen label scrawled on the box. "It just says ‘kitchen’. You think those removal guys could have written something a bit more specific. It would have been helpful."
"Perhaps they can’t write," said Nasreen. "Educational standards are slipping in this country. I don’t know why my parents ever wanted me to grow up here in the first place."
"So you could meet a wonderful man like me." Robert put his arm around Nasreen’s shoulder. "And I’ll do my best to raise educational standards when term starts at the Academy."
"Be careful – you don’t want to do it all on your first day," she grinned.
"What about that tea?"
"Do one thing first."
"What’s that?
"Find the kettle."
Robert looked round wearily. Besides the cardboard packing case he had just set on the floor, he had seen at least three others, all labelled in the same unhelpful way.
Nasreen disappeared into the kitchen: "I’ll see if I can find some cups as well."
Just at that moment, there was a knock at the door. "So you’re finally in then?"
"Good heavens," said Robert. "A vaguely familiar face! It’s Sammy, isn’t it?"
"That’s right."
"Where do I know you from?"
"Where I work – the Merlin Court Hotel. You were staying there waiting to move in here, weren’t you?
"Of course! I remember."
"And I live at number 26. Which – because of the funny way the houses are numbered round here, makes me your next door neighbour-but-two."
"Funny way – what do you mean?"
"Consecutive – not all odd on one side of the road and even on the other."
It dawned on Robert what he meant. "Which is why this is number 23, an odd number, is on the same side…"
"Three houses down – there, you’ve got it. Doesn’t half confuse visitors though. So – you settling in OK?"
"If living out of cardboard boxes is your idea of being settled. We can’t find anything."
"I had the same trouble when I helped somebody move a couple of years ago. Which is why I’ve brought you these." Sammy dug out of his coat pocket some plastic cups and cutlery, and little one-serving sachets of coffee, tea, sugar and milk. "So long as you can heat up some water, you’re laughing."
Robert was genuinely touched. "Nas – look what this kind gentleman has brought us."
Nasreen came back into the room. "Oh, hello. Good heavens, where did you get all those?"
"From the hotel you’ve just been staying in. I’m the catering manager there, so I thought it was the easiest way I could do you a favour."
"Sammy’s an expert at moving house," said Robert. "Thought this might be a priority till we get unpacked."
"I’ll say," said Nasreen, gathering up the little packets.
"One condition," said Sammy, "if I can join you."
"Of course, just as soon as I find a pan. Thank you ever so much."
"No problem. Welcome to Magnolia Close."
****
"Well? What did you hear?" Celine, being only eleven, had to rely on her big sister, Brooke, for guidance sometimes. Not that she was that close to her sister, but a sister nevertheless, and so sometimes helpful. Sometimes, though, she could be a right snotty little cow. Right now, Celine needed Brooke to be in ‘helpful’ mode.
"Pipe down," said Brooke. "I’m not standing on this bin for the good of my health. I don’t want him to catch me ear-wigging."
Celine bit her lip and tried to contain herself. Her resolve finally failed. "Can you hear anything or not?"
"Button it!… I’ve just heard him saying something about term starting at the Academy."
"What else?"
"I’m not sure. He was going on about something to do with kettles then you opened your gob."
Brooke abruptly climbed down off the wheelie bin. "Shush!"
"What’s up?"
"Sammy was just coming up the drive so I had to lay low. I think it’s him though."
"The pervert?"
"I think so. That’s what Judith Collins said at school anyway."
"Then why is he being allowed to start a new job at Hope Academy?"
"I dunno." Brooke pushed her hair back from her face. "Perhaps they let him off. Anyway, I’m not going to worry about it."
"Really?" said Celine. "Why not?"
"Well, I’m leaving this summer. It’s you who’s just about to start. Poor little Celine. New school, new teacher, new danger."
Celine was getting close to tears. Hope Academy had a good reputation and she had felt lucky to be in the catchment area when she had had her place confirmed last spring. Now she wasn’t so sure. "How can you be so… I mean, I’m your kid sister – don’t you care what might happen to me?"
"You’ll grow into it. After all, I did. I always thought all the male teachers were perverts anyway. Always trying to look down your blouse in class. ‘Just press the escape key here,’ and have a quick grope of your tits while they were at it."
"All the men were perverts?"
"Except for the gay ones. Then it was the lads who had to keep their eyes open. Thank God I’ll get my ‘A’ Levels this summer and be off to Uni."
Their mother, Martha, called out from somewhere inside the house. "Brooke! Celine." What are you up to?"
Celine blinked. "What if you don’t get the grades?"
Brooke’s face darkened with anger. "I will. But even if I don’t, one way or another, this year I’m going to be leaving Magnolia Close."

END OF EPISODE 1

No comments:

Post a Comment