Tuesday 5 April 2011

A Siren Calls.

The call came around tenish. Gregosz. Security job in Acton. Big money but their payoff was my silence.
Next night, I arrived at a disused Baths - an Edwardian ideal of working-class cleanliness and leisure. Nowadays it had become a mausoleum but inside, someone had splashed a lot of cash - excuse the pun.
State of the art, blue tiled pool in which I glimpsed a gliding shadow.
Gregosz beckoned and I noted a huge steel container and a net – the type used to catch wild animals.
‘What is it?’
‘Don’t ask.’ Gregosz smiled. ‘A Russian oligarch’s plaything.’
The water broke and the shadow surfaced. I registered a lithe body, covered in downy hair with a high-cheekboned, human face.
‘A real mermaid,’ whispered Gregosz as I gazed, mesmerised into almond eyes pleading, ‘Save me.’
Twenty four hours later I returned with the lorry. Gregosz’s key let me in and I went to the pool, unsure if the night before had been real.
I only recognised Gregosz from the look of terror on what remained of his face. One eye. Shredded net. Bloodied meat  strewn across cobalt blue.
My heart was pounding as I saw her surface.
‘Save me.’

Susanne

3 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed that Susanne - don't change any of it. It seems that flash fiaction lends itself really well to the mystic/gory/suprise ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly liked the dual "save me". So different in their utterance at both ends of the scale, deeply beseeching and in abject terror. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't excuse the pun..Sorry.

    ReplyDelete