Tuesday 22 January 2008

Sestina: "Romance in Rhodes"

(posted on behalf of Jackie Hutchinson)

Sipping a glass of wine, Sherrie remarks. "Why don’t we take a holiday in Rhodes?’
Thumbing through holiday brochures. "I’ve never been to that Greek isle
before." Weeks later, "I’ve brought you your favorite drink-Martini on the rocks."
Jeremy joins his girlfriend on the hotel loungers. "Let’s have a dip in the pool."
Sherrie gazes across at her tanned fiancée. "Its wonderful, gazing out at the crystal
blue waters of the ocean. Smiling seductively, she purrs, "you’re my rough diamond."

Relaxing under the hot July sun, the couple marvels at the twinkling diamonds
of the glistening rays on the sea. "I’m so glad we came to Rhodes-
its magical..to feel the Greek sun on your back.." Jeremy fastens a crystal
bracelet round her slender wrist. "I can’t wait to walk you down the aisle."
Jeremy gently strokes Sherrie’s tanned stomach. "I’ll race you to the swimming pool"
"That’s safer than in the sea, it can be dangerous if you get too close to those rocks."

Flirtatiously fluttering her eyelashes, Sherrie sighs, "I want huge a sparkly rock
on my finger, when we get married. Yes-real diamonds!"
Jeremy shakes his head in disbelief. "I’m going inside for a game of pool."
Later, the couple jump in their hire car. "Sherrie, we are lost-there are so many roads
leading from the centre of the isle."
The shimmering facet of the sapphire blue bracelet catches the iridescent crystal
sea

Sherrie rests her head on Jeremy’s chest "I’m a lucky lady...I do love my crystal
bracelet". Holding the jewellery up to the sun. "Something encrusted in rocks
would be fantastic." Sherrie’s eyes rest on the olive groves looking out across the isle.
"You can’t have it both ways, especially if you want a ring set in diamonds."
The woman soaks up the heady Greek sun. "It’s a lovely place to visit is Rhodes,
especially when, we can spend all day relaxing by this huge pool."

Jeremy towel dries his wet arms. "That guy I met in the bar? I’m not playing pool
with him anymore!" Lying under the parasol, Jeremy’s eyes scan across the crystal
aquamarine ocean. "Don’t drive in that state of mind-you won’t be safe on the roads."
"Don’t worry, my love. I’m not going to crash the car into those rocks."
The affection Sherrie felt for her fiancée was far greater than the diamond
wedding ring she was dreaming of or that her beloved would walk her down the aisle.

Sherrie puts on her sandals. "I’ll come with you-there’s a lot of this isle
we haven’t seen yet." The couple leisurely strolls alongside the edge of the pool.
Jeremy brakes at this hillside tavern. "What do you want to drink…Diamond
White cider?" Sherrie breathes, "What a view… the sea is crystal
clear. "Steady love. Don’t go too close to that cliff edge-those jagged rocks
could come loose." Aren’t you glad we decided to come to Rhodes?"

"Jeremy, I have enjoyed holidaying on this isle-that beautiful ocean of crystal
is captivating." From the poolside, Sherrie admires the majestic rocks
on the hills. She’s thankful she’s got her diamond, without straying onto dusty roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment